Home Forums The Law Firm of Higbee & Associates Copyright Letter, Lawsuit and News Agence France Presse Copyright Letter from Higbee Associates

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    All-Irish
    Participant

I used 4 pictures that Higbee Associates claims were owned by Agence France Press. The pictures were victims of a storm and my articles as about important it is to have strong windows, which is educational. Wouldnt’ this be fair use which should prevent Agence France Presse from having a copyright claim against me?

Also Higbee and Associates is asking that I pay $4580, which seems way too high. I looked on Getty’s web site and the images could have been purchased four about $400 each, which would only be $1600. Should I offer $1,600. I would be fine paying that or even $2,000. $4500 seems too high.

Also, if Agence France Presse is in France, can they sue me in the US?

Editor
    Keymaster

Yes, Agence France Presse can sue you in the US. Not that is is a requirement, but it appears that Agence France Presse does have an office in Washington DC. Higbee & Associates does occasionally sue on behalf of Agence France-Presse for copyright infringement. There have been a couple of cases in the last few months.

Assuming you do not have a license, your approach of offering something is good as it will probably reduce the chances that your claim turns into a lawsuit.

I would expect that Agence France Presse will give you a counter offer. Most copyright holders are not content to settle these matters for just the cost of the license.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Editor.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Editor.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to our forum!

Register

Login

Request to be contacted by an attorney who specializes in fighting these law firms. We will provide you with an attorney if an appropriate match is available for your area.

If you do not receive a match within 4 hours you can assume we do not have one available in your area.