Home Forums The Law Firm of Higbee & Associates Copyright Letter, Lawsuit and News Copyright Claim Against Our Non-Profit 501c3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Big Simon
    Participant

Our non-profit used two generic news photos about a hurricane on our blog about disaster preparedness. The blog was designed to educate people and I thought this would be 100% allowed a fair use. However, I have read a few articles that gave me doubts. Obviously, I don’t want to get us sued, but I don’t want to have my non-profit’s pants pulled down by paying $3,000 either.

I need clarification. Can a non-profit use photos for free if the use is educational?

If not, how do we get out of this?

I would especially be interested to hear from other non-profit who have had tried fair use defense to copyright with Higbee & Associates.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Editor.
    Editor
    Keymaster

Fair use does not give non-profits a license to use anyone’s image for any purpose that is educational. Fair use is a four part analysis. The good news is the test is slightly more lenient in favor of use when the use is by a non-profit, but that is just one factor. Plenty of non-profits have been found liable for copyright infringement.

This blog does a good job of addressing the issue: https://www.trademarkandcopyrightlawblog.com/2018/06/no-virginia-you-cant-just-copy-stuff-you-find-on-the-internet-even-if-you-dont-notice-the-copyright-notice/

If there is any doubt, hire an attorney or settle the case. Higbee & Associates files lots of law suits and things only get more difficult once a lawsuit is filed.

Big Simon
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. Our non-profit resolved the claim. The spouse of one of our board members is an attorney. He advised us to settle the claim as a judge would have most likely ruled that our use of the images were not covered by fair use of copyright. After a little back and forth, we settled for a little over half of what they were demanding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to our forum!

Register

Login

Request to be contacted by an attorney who specializes in fighting these law firms. We will provide you with an attorney if an appropriate match is available for your area.

If you do not receive a match within 4 hours you can assume we do not have one available in your area.